Annual Early Years Lead Teacher visit and other useful information
From: Ask CYPS <email@example.com>
Sent: 21 September 2021 11:57
Subject: Annual Early Years Lead Teacher visit and other useful information
Dear Early Years Leaders,
We hope that term 1 has started well after a well-deserved and much needed Summer break. The reformed EYFS Statutory Framework is now in place for all schools and settings with EYFS provision. Lead Teachers are busy already, supporting practitioners to develop high quality practice and provision in Bristol’s schools and EY Settings.
Annual Support Visit to Schools
We are very much hoping that Lead Teachers can meet you and your teams in person for these visits this year to celebrate, reflect and discuss the new EYFS in the context of your school/setting. If this is not possible, we will of course be offering this important professional conversation via zoom/teams. Your Lead Teacher will be in touch to arrange a suitable date.
The focus this year is assessment and the visit will be an opportunity for some shared thinking about how to articulate effectively and confidently the learning of the children we work with. This is an important emphasis in the new EYFS framework: “practitioners should draw on their knowledge of the child and their own expert professional judgement and should not be required to prove this through collection of physical evidence “ EYFS Statutory FW, 2021 Assessment 2.2
The visit will include a short observation (if possible) of a child that you have identified in advance, who is not yet meeting developmental milestones. The reflective discussion that follows is an opportunity to rehearse, with prompts, the story of the most important parts of this child’s learning journey. Your Lead Teacher will be able to share useful resources including the new Bristol Assessment guidance to support thinking about what might happen next to ensure further progress for the child discussed. We hope that this partnership working will offer a valuable space for pedagogical thinking and planning related to the changes in the EYFS.
Please find attached the visit note template and prompt sheet.
Dates for your diary
We would also like to take this opportunity to share dates for city-wide EYFS leaders meetings for the rest of this academic year:
Tuesday 2nd November 1.30pm
Tuesday 15th March 1.30pm
Tuesday 14 June 1.30pm
There is no need to book a place but please ensure that your full name appears on the screen when you log in to the zoom session (zoom links to follow).
Other support available
- Please be reassured that your Area EY Consultant and Lead Teacher are available to support you. Don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- Area school cluster meetings will continue to be available termly and are open to all EYFS staff. Your lead teacher will let you know the dates.
- The Bristol Early Years website is available to you and provides a wealth of resources and information. Bristol Early Years | A source of information, guidance and support for the Early Years community in Bristol
- A number of FREE Network CPD opportunities are available for all schools and settings in Bristol. These sessions have been developed with a focus on the new EYFS through a child development lens. Area Networks | Bristol Early Years
- Bristol Early Years Teaching Hub offers a range of online CPD opportunities to support your practice and provision with new courses and visiting national trainers to support the revised EYFS. You can browse and book here: www.beytc.co.uk
Please share this email and the attached visit note template with your head teacher.
As always, thank you for all that you do for Bristol’s children and their families.
Best wishes and keep in touch with us,
The Early Years Team