STATUTORY FRAMEWORK FOR THE EARLY YEARS FOUNDATION STAGE
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. It promotes teaching and learning to ensure children’s ‘school readiness’ and gives children the broad range of knowledge and skills that provide the right foundation for good future progress through school and life.
The EYFS seeks to provide:
• quality and consistency in all early years settings, so that every child makes good progress and no child gets left behind
• a secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interests of each individual child and are assessed and reviewed regularly
• partnership working between practitioners and with parents and/or carers
• equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice, ensuring that every child is included and supported.
There are seven areas of learning and development that must shape educational programmes in early years settings. Three areas are particularly crucial for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, and for building their capacity to learn, form relationships and thrive. These three areas, the prime areas, are:
• communication and language
• physical development
• personal, social and emotional development
Providers must also support children in four specific areas, through which the three prime areas are strengthened and applied. The specific areas are:
• understanding the world
• expressive arts and design
Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Ofsted have published a report on the Reception Curriculum. Please click on the image below to download the report.
Early Learning Contacts
Nicola Theobald, Early Years Improvement Officer
Nicky Bale, Foundation Years Bristol Standard Consultant
Smi Pearce, Foundation Years Consultant Assessment and Transition
Kate Hubble Foundation Years Consultant
Beth Osborne Foundation Years Consultant Birth to Three